MASA / Algorithmics
Mathematique Appliques SA
May 2000 - Jan 2004
During my time with MASA, my work entailed customer contact, design, development and support of industrial optimization systems for large blue chip clients including the Royal Mail, UPS and SITA France. The majority of my work was focused on a project for the Royal Mail, often working to tight, imposed deadlines.
Initially I was part of a team of 4 working on all 3 releases of the Royal Mail software and I ran the final phase of the project personally. Various stages of this project have been in operational service for over 3 years and used in over 20 sites across the UK. I also worked on Win2K/NT systems support, licensing, backups (tape and CD), antivirus, updates and network configuration. I used design patterns, general agile programming methodologies, refactoring and unit testing in my work.
MASA UK, formerly the R&D office of MASA Group (www.masagroup.net), have provided industrial optimization systems for over 5 years. During this time I made frequent short and medium term business trips to Paris.
In June 2003 the Brighton branch of MASA became independent from the parent company. I was involved in research in applying natural language processing (NLP) to news from the web. During this time my work also saw me setting up and maintaining the databases of articles and using Python to extract data from the databases for use in the research. These articles were stored in both Microsoft SQL Server and MySQL databases, comprising over 80gb of data.
- Core library development,
- Full software life cycle,
- Liaising with clients,
- SDK development,
- GUI development,
- Languages :- C++, Java, Python, Perl
- Databases :- Microsoft SQL Server 2000, MySQL
- XML :- Sax and Dom in both Java and Python
- Development Environments :- Microsoft Developer Studio 6 for C++, Eclipse
- Source Control :- SourceSafe, SourceOffSite, CVS
- GUI Environments: - Java Swing, Qt GUI Toolkit, MFC
- Toolkits :- Standard Template Libraries (STL)